[PYTHON DB-SIG] Socksifying oradbmodule

Shaun Lessman Shaun Lessman <slessman@mem.net>
Sat, 3 May 1997 10:05:26 -0500 (CDT)

> > Has anyone successfully socksified (SOCKS5) the oracle database module?

> I reckon you've got buggerall chance of doing it - unless you can use
> the runsocks type script, which does shared library funkiness. Ask Oracle
> to add it.  (ha. ha. ha.)

Yeah, I know I can do it if I launch my script like:

#!/usr/local/bin/bash
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
export _RLD_LIST=libsocks5_sh.so:DEFAULT
/usr/local/bin/python /usr/local/lib/site-python/DBClean_radacct.py

That's a pain, though. Be nice to just do:

import SOCKSoracledb
oracledb=SOCKSoracledb

Ah, well. Pity that Oracle said they have no plans to support SOCKS firewalls.
I could take care of it with a packet proxy on port 1521 of the SOCKS5 host,
but why add more complexity? Hmmm, I wonder if it's possible to set the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and _RLD_LIST from within the script before the oradbmodule is
imported? I know it can't be done with:

import os
os.environ['_RLD_LIST']='libsocks5_sh.so:DEFAULT'
os.environ['LS_LIBRARY_PATH']='/usr/local/lib'
import oracledb

Does anyone know of another way to do this? Or even if it's possible? I don't
know enough about how rld interacts with python to know...

Shaun Lessman
| Synapse, L.L.C.         | Network Administrator, Synapse Internet |
| Suite 2220              |  slessman@mem.net  |   (901) 797-8274   |
| 38118-2434              | SALPYSALPYSALPYSALPYSALPYSALPYSALPYSALP |