[PYTHON DB-SIG] Re: [PYTHONWIN-SIG] Info about Python and ODBC uploaded

chas sweeting@neuronet.com.my
Fri, 9 May 1997 15:29:46 +0800

>I've just uploaded some documentation about Python and ODBC (python_odbc.
>tar.gz) .
>Here is the readme for that file  --

went looking for that documentation but no joy....
the python ftp site is a maze. don't suppose you have the
exact location ?

but just a general question on databases : if i am
creating web-to-database apps with python, without a commercial
database, which is the best way to go ? msql and postgres are only
available on unix. i would like to keep developing on NT but have
the option of running the same apps on unix at a later date...
that is after all, python's supposed strength, no ?

odbc seems the way to go for windows but for unix ?
for cross platform, i am using flat files at the moment
but that is not too scalable me thinks. (or is python
really that fast with lists ?)

thank you very much for any advice and excuse my dragging the
intelligence level of SIGs down.

chas

ps. anyone ever come across an IOERROR problem on NT with python cgi scripts
    ... they function fine from the command line but when called
    via the web, i keep getting a bizarre error :

open ("domains.txt", "r") IOError: (2, 'No such file or directory'

   the file most certainly does exist (as witnessed by
   the success of the script from the command line)... and the
   IUSER with MSIIS has full control over the directory ....
   frustrating.

apologies for the bad form if i am posting all of
this in the wrong places....