[DB-SIG] What DB-API compliant interfaces are there?

W. Craig Trader ct7@unicornsrest.org
Tue, 09 Sep 1997 00:43:58 -0400

Andrew Kuchling wrote:
> I'd really like to write a brief article on a Python database
> interface for the February issue of Linux Journal.  (Deadline Oct. 1.)
> It would be most useful, I think, if it covered the DB-API, instead of
> some idiosyncratic interface; that way it can end saying "this same
> interface works for other databases as well."  But the available
> interfaces are for Oracle, Informix, and SOLID, which aren't common
> database interfaces.  Are there DB-API compliant interfaces for
> something smaller and simpler like mSQL?  SOLID's available free for
> Linux in a limited version, so it's not a major point.
> Do you think this is a good idea?  Or would it be better to write
> about something really easy to acquire like mSQL, whether it supports
> the DB-API or not?

Given the nature of the Linux Journal and its audience, I'd suggest
targetting a database that's available for Linux.  While mSQL is a
popularly available database, I'd actually suggest MySQL
instead.  MySQL is a multi-threaded database engine with a superior
SQL engine, which uses very similar APIs to mSQL, with a cheaper
I found that it was easier to install than mSQL (there are several
distributions available, including an RPM distribution).  Drivers are
available for Python, Java, and ODBC.

Just my 2 cents...

W. Craig Trader             | Excellence can be attained if you:
Production Manager          | Care more than others think is wise
Barking Mad Productions     | Risk more than others think is safe
mailto:ct7@unicornsrest.org | Dream more than others think is practical
http://www.unicornsrest.org | Expect more than others think is possible.