[DB-SIG] What DB-API compliant interfaces are there?

Harri Pasanen pa@tekla.fi
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 09:29:21 +0300

Andrew Kuchling writes:
> I'd really like to write a brief article on a Python database
> interface for the February issue of Linux Journal.  (Deadline Oct. 1.)
> It would be most useful, I think, if it covered the DB-API, instead of
> some idiosyncratic interface; that way it can end saying "this same
> interface works for other databases as well."  But the available
> interfaces are for Oracle, Informix, and SOLID, which aren't common
> database interfaces.  Are there DB-API compliant interfaces for
> something smaller and simpler like mSQL?  SOLID's available free for
> Linux in a limited version, so it's not a major point.
>
> Do you think this is a good idea?  Or would it be better to write
> about something really easy to acquire like mSQL, whether it supports
> the DB-API or not?

My understanding is that Solid uses ODBC as its native interface even
on Unix platforms, so the knowledge on that would be usable with other
ODCB supporting databases as well.

Solid server itself is quite small, it's the documentation and helper
programs that increase the distribution size. Minimum requirements for
the server are 386, 1MB RAM, 2MB disk.

You can get a free Linux version for personal use. I recall about
10000 users have downloaded the free Linux version. For more
information on this and Solid in general, see http://www.solidtech.com

I think Linux Journal may have carried a product review of Solid in
the past, so your article might complement it nicely.

Harri

PS. I do know a few people at Solid-Tech, and I used to work at their
predecessor company, so in that sense I'm biased.