[DB-SIG] What DB-API compliant interfaces are there?

Case Roole cjr@bound.xs4all.nl
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 11:48:41 +0100 (WET DST)

> I'd really like to write a brief article on a Python database
> interface for the February issue of Linux Journal.  (Deadline Oct. 1.)

Bravo!

> It would be most useful, I think, if it covered the DB-API, instead of
> some idiosyncratic interface; that way it can end saying "this same
> interface works for other databases as well."  But the available
> interfaces are for Oracle, Informix, and SOLID, which aren't common
> database interfaces.  Are there DB-API compliant interfaces for
> something smaller and simpler like mSQL?  SOLID's available free for
> Linux in a limited version, so it's not a major point.

Hmm, the Python Database API mentions a pg95db module which is supposed to
be compliant, but my Postgres95 module is called pg95 and a comparison of
functions showed that the pg95 module is not compliant. But perhaps there
is a DB API compliant wrapper around somewhere?

For a project of my own it would be wonderful to have a common interface,
especially to the available Linux dbms's. I don't know about the popularity
of SOLID in the Linux community, but it might be a good idea to mention that
there are also modules for mSQL and Postgres95 in the *first* paragraph of
the article.

> Do you think this is a good idea?  Or would it be better to write
> about something really easy to acquire like mSQL, whether it supports
> the DB-API or not?

Hmm, depends on what you like to be the spirit of the Linux community. Linux
software and documentation "knows" a lot about Apple and Microsoft software
where the reverse attitude is studied ignorance. This is not a matter for
moral dispute, but a fact indicating where the burder lies.
Similarly, python programmers will have to deal with the production of
interfaces to applications and languages. These could easily be produced by
the makers, but they do C, not python.
Those who want to do programming in python must necessarily depend on the
activities of their peers, e.g. for writing interfaces to tcl/tk, OpenGL,
etc. The same goes in the Linux community.

Eh, what was your question? Oh yes, if you want to promote "Linux or burst"
I think you'd best stick to mSQL and/or Postgres95. On the other hand, if
you want to promote python as a tool for opening up new worlds for Linux a
drive to generalization of interfaces and mentioning the commercial set of
DBMSs would be a good thing.

Please, take this long-winded-and-not-entirely-to-the-point answer as an
indication that the topic on which you plan to work can raise interest.

Cheers,
	cjr

--
Case Roole <cjr@bound.xs4all.nl>