[DB-SIG] What DB-API compliant interfaces are there?

Bill Tutt billtut@microsoft.com
Tue, 9 Sep 1997 13:23:07 -0700

ODBC is a set of C APIs to access a database using SQL.
I say set of APIs because ODBC has different "levels" of compliance.
e.g.: The latest Microsoft ODBC SDK is at ODBC 3.0 with 3.5 in
development.

The organization of ODBC is something like this:

		ODBC Driver Manager
-------
SQL Server ODBC Driver | SOLID ODBC Driver | etc....

The Driver Manager is what the ODBC API's call into.

Now obvoiously, not all databases support the same SQL features.
e.g. mSQL vs a commercial SQL database

The ODBC API includes functions to help determine if your driver has a
certain feature or not..
e.g. transaction capibility.

So getting the SOLID ODBC code to work with say, MySQL's Unix odbc
interface, or mSQL's Unix odbc interface should
be trivial.

Documentation is always the last thing to get updated.... :)
On my free time Python TODO list: (probably in priority order)
	Doing a decent at least ANSI-92 capable datetime type for DBI in
C to avoid the CRT 1970/y2k problem.
		Modifying the ODBC code to allow the parameter of an
insert statement to be a sequence of rows.
	Modifying the ODBC code to remove the 64k restriction on raw
data.
	Modifying DBI to return a "database tuple type" instead of a
list.
	Where database tuple type is a type where you can do the
following to access the data:
		row[1] = value in the 2nd column
		row["name"] = value in the column called "name"
		row.name = value in the column called "name"

Unfortunately.. as I'm in the process of closing on my condo, I don't
have a lot of free time right now. :(

Bill
Not part of Microsoft PR, yada yada

send messages to: db-sig@python.org