[DB-SIG] Transactions: how to start them?

W. Craig Trader ct7@unicornsrest.org
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 13:05:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> In the DB-API, Connection objects have commit() and rollback() methods
> to commit or abort a transaction.  However, the API doesn't specify
> how to indicate the *start* of a transaction; is it database-specific?
> It seems like an omission from the spec; what am I missing?

For a typical database, when you open a connection, you've started a
transaction; when the connection is closed the database will either commit
or rollback (it depends upon the database) the transaction.  If you choose
to commit or rollback the transaction on a connection yourself, that
transaction will be stopped and a new transaction will be started.  You
*will* need to check with your database vendor's documentation about
whether the default is to commit or to rollback the transaction.

Illustra commits by default; MySQL and mSQL don't support transactions at
all.  Those are the only databases I've used that have Python interfaces
(and none of those interfaces use the DB-API).

--
W. Craig Trader             | Excellence can be attained if you:
Production Manager          | Care more than others think is wise

send messages to: db-sig@python.org