[DB-SIG] autocommit

Jim Fulton jim.fulton@digicool.com
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:05:09 -0400

Magnus Lycka wrote:
> To be honest, I'm a little uncertain about how to handle SQL the best way.
> The thing that makes it tricky is that the database has it's own states
> and namespaces which completely ignore your Python (or whatever) code
> structures / namespaces. If you don't use cursors this might make things
> very confusing if you call other functions containing SQL while in a
> transaction... Commit/rollbacks might suddenly appear in wrong places.
> I guess the solution to this is to always use cursors if the database
> supports that.

This is one of the reasons that I find object-oriented databases to be
*far* more useful than relational databases.  For example, an object
oriented database underlies our apps, programmers have almost no
database-related logic in their apps.  Programers should not have to
think about loading or storing data.  To me, the eplicit query and
update required by relational databases is roughly akin to the
explicit malloc and free required by C.

Jim