[DB-SIG] autocommit

Jim Fulton jim.fulton@digicool.com
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:09:14 -0400

aaron watters wrote:

> Hey, the database theorists have the same problem.
> This is the embedded transaction problem - no one knows
> how to deal with it (although I wouldn't be surprised if
> the higher class rdbms's have some ad-hoc hacks for
> it that work "most of the time").

We deal with it.  Our database supports nested (embedded) transactions.
Unfortunately, our database is not a product :( yet :).

I know a number of research OO database systems support nested
transactions.  I'd guess that several of the commercial OODBMSs support
nested transactions.

For that matter, TP standards, including the CORBA transaction service
support nested transactions.

Jim