[DB-SIG] Again a question concering the API from a newbie

Anthony Baxter Anthony Baxter <arb@connect.com.au>
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 17:31:52 +1000

>>> Oliver Andrich wrote
> can anybody give me an example for execute(operation, params)? I mean
> something where I can learn from what this thing with the params means and if
> this is the case with my mySQL interface or not.

an example of this would be something like

curs.execute("""INSERT INTO test_table
                VALUES ( :1, :2, '20-NOV-96' )""", (3,"hello"))

the :1 :2 &c are placeholders in the SQL - the parameters are substituted
in. You can also pass a list of tuples and have it substitute each tuple
in turn.

Why would you do this? It's somewhat neater than string interpolation,
and it saves having to reparse the SQL each time.

I don't have my Oracle docs here, so I can't tell you the fancy term they
use for this - input binding, I think...

Anthony

send messages to: db-sig@python.org