From:  Jim Fulton
Sent:  Friday, September 19, 1997 9:09 AM
To:  aaron watters
Cc:  db-sig@python.org; Magnus Lycka
Subject:  Re: [DB-SIG] autocommit

aaron watters wrote:

> Hey, the database theorists have the same problem.
> This is the embedded transaction problem - no one knows
> how to deal with it (although I wouldn't be surprised if
> the higher class rdbms's have some ad-hoc hacks for
> it that work "most of the time").

We deal with it.  Our database supports nested (embedded) transactions.
Unfortunately, our database is not a product :( yet :).

I know a number of research OO database systems support nested
transactions.  I'd guess that several of the commercial OODBMSs support
nested transactions.

For that matter, TP standards, including the CORBA transaction service
support nested transactions.

Jim

send messages to: db-sig@python.org