[DB-SIG] Positioned Update/Delete

Dr. Dieter Maurer dieter@sz-sb.de
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 15:47:50 +0200

Dear Andy

Thank you for your reply.

<----- snip ---->

 > 4a. cursor.execute("update TABLE set CURRENT = ?", (current,))
 >
 > Assuming you are using an SQL-89 or so database; the API doesn't really
 > specify the query language syntax.
I know.
SQL-92 specifies:
	positioned-update::=
	  UPDATE [table]
	  SET update-assignment-commalist
	  WHERE CURRENT OF cursor

Thus, I could formulate my question better in this way:
  "How should the cursor (which is a Python object) best be transported
  into the SQL world."

I see two interpretations for your suggestion:
 1. you suggest not to specify it at all (and "current" (in your suggestion)
    means the new value). But this might conflict with a searched
    update where the "where" clause has been omitted.

 2. "current" (in your suggestion) means in fact "cursor" which
    should be transfered via dynamic parameter into the SQL world.

    I can imagine, that this is a good solution.

Thank you again.
Dieter