[DB-SIG] ms repositories http://www.summsoft.com/repository/html/vldb97.htm

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 00:08:07 -0800

I've traded several mails with Jason and Brian (two coauthors on the
paper). They are currently working in the COM+ group. They are quite aware
of Python :).

COM+ will essentially enable the automatic persistence of objects'
properties. Effectively, this means that when the Python/COM+ bindings are
completed, then Python objects should be transparently persistable to the
Repository (actually, to various object stores; I'm not currently up on
what the underlying API COM+ will use to persist to (e.g. OLE DB)).

An interesting question is whether COM+ persistence should look similar to
pickling or not (the semantics may be different, so it might not be a great
idea to make them similar if they can't be exact).

-g

p.s. and no... I don't have a date for "completed"... :) It depends mainly
on the COM+ dates which are still a ways out.