[DB-SIG] Re: ANN: Date/Time C extension, version 0.4

M.-A. Lemburg lemburg@uni-duesseldorf.de
Fri, 09 Jan 1998 12:12:59 +0100

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> The new release makes the set of types/functions and constructors
> more or less complete. It can now handle arbitrary dates and times, does
> simple date/time calculations and allows dates and times to be used
> as dictionary keys (i.e. hashing and comparing is also supported).
>
> Getting all the types coerced properly was a real nasty fight
> with Python's coercion mechanism: we should really fix this to allow
> for "mixed" type coercion !
>
> Please have a look and tell me what you think:
>
>          http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/mxDateTime.html
>
> If there is a consensus, I'll make these types the low-level
> standard for database interfacing in the upcoming DB API Spec 1.1.
> The DateTime module provides a C API in form of a C object for
> this reason.

One thing I forgot to make clear:

The module's interface may still change
until version 1.0 is out. You shouldn't be using the module in
production code yet. It is currently meant as test bed implementation,
to get a feeling of how date/time handling in Python should work.

Sorry for any inconvenience...

-- cheers,

Marc-Andre Lemburg