[DB-SIG] which free database to use (and a few other questions)

aaron watters aaron_watters@classic.msn.com
Wed, 21 Jan 98 20:52:33 UT

I betcha you folks knew this was coming, dincha?

You could also use gadfly: pure python sql.  I don't know about how the
performance would compare.
I'm pleased with its performance myself, especially if you install kjbuckets.

One problem: it's 100% in memory at present so you'd need lots of RAM and huge
swap files (500M)
But that's perfectly doable (also you'd best use kjbuckets, since it uses
memory better).

Realistically, even if you had Oracle you'd probably want to
preprocess-extract the data first, if possible.
100MB is pretty huge. Anything is likely to be very slow.

Alternatively you could subclass the "Relation0" class to read from disk in
some cases.
Easily done, actually, but I don't know how to hook such a thing into SQL
syntax nicely...
If you want to play with it I'd be happy to help (at least a bit).

Alternatively, you could punt on sql and "home grow" your indices and queries
in Python.
Maybe using bplustree.py.

http://www.pythonpros.com/arw

Just a thought.

New release always rsn.  ;c) -- Aaron Watters