[DB-SIG] Database API clarifications

M.-A. Lemburg lemburg@uni-duesseldorf.de
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 17:36:52 +0100

Thomas Marsh wrote:

> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> > > [...]
> > Could you explain how you define multiple result sets with one
> > SQL statement ? I'm not sure whether a cursor method is the right
> > thing to add. Also, most DBs probably don't support this feature,
> > so it should be optional from the APIs point of view.
>
> Any database that supports compute clauses should return multiple result
> sets. Sybase, for instance, does this.

Ok, I see. Well then a method cursor.nextset() should go into the
API. With the same semantics that Bill proposed:

	return 1 if there are more sets and organize for the
	next fetch* calls to return rows from the next set;
	return 0 otherwise.

	Interface packages not providing this feature should always
	return 0.

Is that ok ? I'll add to my API 1.1. draft then.

send messages to: db-sig@python.org