[DB-SIG] DB-API 1.1

Tod Olson Tod Olson <ta-olson@uchicago.edu>
Thu, 04 Jun 1998 16:14:38 -0500

M> Things to be considered obsolete:
M> 	arraysize
M> 	setinputsize()
M> 	setoutputsize()

M> 	Completely agree on punting these... fetchmany() would then
M> 	have a mandatory argument instead of an optional one.

I actually found arraysize to be useful when I implemented array
binding in a module I was working on.  I could allocate the space for
the array binding when the user set the variable and avoid doing a
malloc and free on every call to fetch*.  That is, it was a nice hint
for handling memory in a place where Python couldn't help me.

M> Multiple results sets.

M> 	Same problem as with stored procedures. There doesn't
M> 	seem to be much of a standard and most DBs probably don't
M> 	even support these.

Sybase certainly does.  It would be good to leave in nextset() for
those who can use it.

A result set object might be nice.  If the database (eg. Sybase) will
only let you get the result sets in a specific order (ie. no
simultaneous iteration over mult. sets) it doesn't seem to be that big
of an improvement.  Does anyone use a database that can return
multiple result sets to an SQL batch where the DB lets the programmer
access the sets simultaneously?

Tod A. Olson                        "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
ta-olson@uchicago.edu               "If you weren't mad, you wouldn't have
The University of Chicago Library    come here," said the Cat.