[DB-SIG] authoritative list of Python database modules

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@cnri.reston.va.us
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 11:12:47 -0400 (EDT)

I have spent the last 30 minutes trying to find an authoritative list
of database modules.  I've become convinced that there isn't one, or
at least that there are enough impostors that it wouldn't be possible
to recognize the authoritative list.

I volunteer to assemble an authoritative list, if people will help me
gather the information.  I expect an authoritative list to include all
the known database modules, including versions of Python and the
database that are known to work.

The current state of affairs is downright confusing!  I'm aware of three
pages that list database software:

http://www.python.org/download/Contributed.html#Database
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/contrib/Database/
http://www.python.org/sigs/db-sig/status.html

Unfortunately, each page seems to list a different subset of modules
and many of the versions pointed to seem to be out of date.  I tried a
few searches.  A search for "database module" turns up the db-sig
status page, which is somewhat helpful.  Other searches, including
"database", "oracle database", and "postgres module" produce less
helpful results.  (Although searching for "oracle database" does
produce the ora_mod readme file as the first hit -- and the ora_mod
readme file points to the Digital Creations oracle module.)

Here's the list I've come up with, along with a pointer to what looks
like the most recent version and its date.  Please send me any
additions or corrections.  If you know what versions of Python or the
database these modules work with, let me know; in particular, do they
work with 1.5?

Oracle
ftp://ftp.digicool.com/pub/releases/unsupported/oracle
June 24, 1997

Informix
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/contrib/Database/informixdb.tar.gz
Aug. 27, 1997

Sybase
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/contrib/Database/sybasemodule.tar.gz
Feb. 28, 1997

ODBC (???)
http://www.python.org/windows/win32/odbc.html
(Is it possible to use ODBC without PythonWin?)
(What about mxODBC?)

Solid
ftp://ftp.gams.at/pub/Solid/Python/SolidPython-0.0.7.tar.gz
Nov. 17, 1997

Gadfly
http://starship.skyport.net/crew/aaron_watters/kwParsing/gadfly.html

MySQL