[DB-SIG] authoritative list of Python database modules

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 22:15:12 +0200

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> I have spent the last 30 minutes trying to find an authoritative list
> of database modules.  I've become convinced that there isn't one, or
> at least that there are enough impostors that it wouldn't be possible
> to recognize the authoritative list.
>
> I volunteer to assemble an authoritative list, if people will help me
> gather the information.  I expect an authoritative list to include all
> the known database modules, including versions of Python and the
> database that are known to work.

Great idea. (BTW: You should also include information on DB API
compliance for each module.)

> ODBC (???)
> http://www.python.org/windows/win32/odbc.html
> (Is it possible to use ODBC without PythonWin?)

AFAIK, the win32 odbc module only works with the MS ODBC Manager
on WinNT/95.

> (What about mxODBC?)

mxODBC can be found at:
	http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/mxODBC.html

It links directly against any ODBC 2.0 lib on Unix and is known
work (concurrently) with:
	SuSE Adabas D
	Solid
	MySQL
	iODBC (the free Unix ODBC manager)

It probably also compiles against:
	Oracle with Intersolv ODBC drivers
	MS ODBC Manager (freely downloadable)
	Many other databases with ODBC drivers for Unix

Current version:
	0.8.0 (June 1998)

It is DB API 1.0 compliant and will soon be DB API 1.1 compliant too.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg                               Y2000: 557 days left
          : Python Pages >>> http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/  :