[DB-SIG] DateTime: Changing the time value handling ?!

M.-A. Lemburg lemburg@uni-duesseldorf.de
Fri, 06 Mar 1998 13:42:06 +0100

For infos on DateTime, two types for date and time handling
written in C, see:
	http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/mxDateTime.html

Upon common request I am planning to change the behaviour
of handling conversion from and to Unix ticks.

It currently converts Unix ticks (the floats that time.time() returns)
to UTC (aka GMT) for the broken down time representation
(giving an output similar to time.gmtime()). Conversion from
a DateTime instance to a ticks float is also done assuming
the stored value being given in UTC (something like time.mktime
for UTC values).

Several users have complained about this not being very
intuitive, so I'm considering adding new ways to do the conversion,
e.g. provide a DateTimeFromLocalTime(1234.567) constructor
and a .localtime() method. Conversion to a float will also
use local time.

Is that ok with you ?

send messages to: db-sig@python.org