[DB-SIG] DateTime: Changing the time value handling ?!

M.-A. Lemburg lemburg@uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 21:26:20 +0100

Jim Fulton wrote:

> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> >
> > When dealing with different time zones its better to have a
> > set of specialized functions/classes. Time zone information
> > is usually not stored together with date/time values. Most
> > databases only work with broken down values and have no idea
> > of the time zone the given values apply to. (And that's what
> > I wrote the DateTime package for after all: to interface to
> > databases ;-)
>
> ODMG stands for Object *Database* Management Group and the ODMG
> standard I keep refering to and that includes time zone in its
> Time and Timestamp classes is a *database* standard.

I know, but the database APIs, I'm familiar with, don't support any time
zone specific data interchange. They simply return the broken down
values you stored -- without doing any conversions or time zone
checking.
How would I store the time zone offset in those databases ?

send messages to: db-sig@python.org