[DB-SIG] DateTime: Changing the time value handling ?!

M.-A. Lemburg lemburg@uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 10:49:55 +0100

Jim Fulton wrote:

> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> >
> > How would I store the time zone offset in those databases ?
>
> I guess you don't.  But that doesn't mean you shouldn't make it
> possible to handle the time zone (offset) in the underlying type.

Hmm, I'll think about it. The offset should be declared as such
though, e.g. a 0 offset wouldn't necessarily mean that you have
UTC stored in your object. And the offset would probably only be
used for arithmetic, so that the internals don't have to be touched.

I think I'll try that as an experiment...
(An offset in minutes should be ok; that'll result in an extra
short, or 2 bytes, per object)

send messages to: db-sig@python.org