[DB-SIG] Sybase module

Tod Olson Tod Olson <ta-olson@uchicago.edu>
Wed, 20 May 1998 10:58:23 -0500

HP> Our sybase server runs on a SPARC-Solaris box, and running the
HP> identical python client on NT and another SPARC-Solaris box gives
HP> the result that NT-client seems roughly 3 times slower than doing
HP> the same from another SPARC Solaris box.  The NT cpu is
HP> practically idle during the process, so it must be something with
HP> sybase client libs / or network.

Some time ago, there was a problem with NT making a TCP/IP connection
to Solaris.  (I wish I could remember the versions.)  MS was doing
something non-standard in their TCP/IP stack, and Sun hadn't
specifically tested MS compatibility, or somesuch.

If you're running an old or unpatched Solaris, you might check for
relevant patches, or you might check that NT has the most recent
service pack installed.  Or this could be a red herring.

Tod A. Olson                        "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
ta-olson@uchicago.edu               "If you weren't mad, you wouldn't have
The University of Chicago Library    come here," said the Cat.