[DB-SIG] Draft of Database topic guide

Sevenster, Renier R sevensterr@scmb.co.za
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 08:53:50 +0200

You can find the full documentation set for Oracle at technet.oracle.com.
Registration on this site is free and it also has a lot of other technical
information. All the documentation for Sybase is located on
sybooks.sybase.com/dynaweb.

What is the status on the free Oracle module?

Regards

Renier Sevenster
Treasury Information Technology
Standard Corporate and Merchant Bank
Tel: +27 11 636 0566
Fax: +27 11 636 0918

-----Original Message-----
From: M.-A. Lemburg [mailto:mal@lemburg.com]
Sent: Friday, November 27, 1998 1:32 AM
To: amk1@erols.com
Cc: db-sig@python.org; python-list@cwi.nl
Subject: Re: [DB-SIG] Draft of Database topic guide

A.M. Kuchling wrote:

> [Followups set to the DB SIG.  If you follow-up to this, please CC: me
> at <amk1@erols.com>; I won't be at work again until Monday.]
>
> I've put a draft version of a database topic guide at:
>         http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/database/
>
> The guide covers the available Python interfaces for relational
> databases, and there's also a page for other non-relational things
> like pickle and BoboPOS and Metakit.
>
> Much of the DB-API material is copied from the current DB-SIG pages,
> which I suspect are somewhat out of date.  So, please let me know if
> some URLs are out of date, or if your favorite database interface
> isn't listed, or if some are obsolete, please let me know.
>
> I'm also not sure where to put Gadfly; it should definitely be
> included somewhere, but where?

Under 'Database Modules' and 'Databases in Python' I guess.

> Suggestions for general database resources would also be helpful.  For
> example, if there's a really good SQL manual on the Web, or online
> manuals for various database products, I'd like to add them.
> ("One-stop shopping" is my goal for the Topic Guide, within reason.)

You may also want to add the URL for the DB-API 1.1 pre-proposal:

     http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/DatabaseAPI-1.1.html

I will continue work on that as soon as find some time (and test
drive it using mxODBC).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg                               Y2000: 400 days left