[DB-SIG] :1 vs. :arg variables in SQL (oracle interface).

Jim Fulton jim.fulton@Digicool.com
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 06:33:26 -0400

Anthony Baxter wrote:

> I'm working my way through the oracle interface, adding the bits I need.
>
> Right now I'm looking at the insert of multiple rows - from the OCI manuals
> I have, it looks like the only way to do these are with obindps(). obindps()
> only supports the :name form of variables, not positional ones. This is
> a problem.
>
> Looking at the DC guys' documentation, they chose to fix this by breaking
> backwards compatibility -

How so?  Backward compatible with what?  DCOracle doesn't
try (or even want;) to be backward compatible with oracledb.
We were only striving for compatability with the DB-API.
The DB-API documentation seems pretty liberal on this to me.
(Actually, it is too liberal, IMO.  I think it should
specify a database-independent syntax.)

> you have to use :p1 instead of :1, &c. I'd prefer
> not to have to do this, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what else to do.

You could write a preprocessor to scan the SQL for :1 and transform it
to something like :p1.  We may do this eventually.

Jim

Technical Director   (888) 344-4332             Python Powered!
Digital Creations    http://www.digicool.com    http://www.python.org

repeats.