[DB-SIG] :1 vs. :arg variables in SQL (oracle interface).

Anthony Baxter Anthony Baxter <arb@connect.com.au>
Tue, 29 Sep 1998 21:09:52 +1000

>>> Jim Fulton wrote
> > Looking at the DC guys' documentation, they chose to fix this by breaking
> > backwards compatibility -
>
> How so?  Backward compatible with what?  DCOracle doesn't
> try (or even want;) to be backward compatible with oracledb.

Ok, so poor choice of words on my part. Since this _is_ on oracledb, I'm
trying to not break backwards compat. A twist I want to try out is whether
oracle allows named parameters called ':1', ':2' and so on. If so, end of
problem.

> > you have to use :p1 instead of :1, &c. I'd prefer
> > not to have to do this, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what else to do.
>
> You could write a preprocessor to scan the SQL for :1 and transform it
> to something like :p1.  We may do this eventually.

Strangely, the thought of writing an SQL parser makes me twitch.

Anthony