[DB-SIG] Updating the SIG pages

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 08 Apr 1999 10:14:23 +0200

Andy Dustman wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
> > BTW: Even if the SIG is meant for relational databases, wouldn't
> > it be a good idea to open it up for OODBs too ? What about an
> > OODB API (with a DB API compliant adaptor) as new target of
> > discussion ?!
>
> It sounds like this may be the domain of the DO-SIG (distributed object),
> which is working on CORBA bindings and such. That doesn't mean we can't
> butt in, however. :) Does look interesting...

Well, I was thinking more in terms of e.g. defining a Python
binding for ODMG's OODB model (see http://www.odmg.org). Would
be nice to have searchable pickles of Python objects. Unfortunately,
they only seem to make the standard documentation available in
book form.

Since the OQL looks a lot like SQL, maybe even Gadfly could support
it... or we could use it's nice parsing features to map OQL onto
SQL and then use any of the existing relational DBs as backend.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg                               Y2000: 267 days left
          : Python Pages >>> http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/  :