[DB-SIG] Getting warmer! Re: [DB-SIG] Informix on IRIX?

Harri Pasanen harri.pasanen@trema.com
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 13:59:30 +0200

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:

> Note that you should normally *never* get error messages from the
> assembler when compiling a C program. It seems you've got a
> configuration problem in your compiler setup. I would presume
> that gcc works best with gas as assembler, yet the dump indicates
> that it is in fact using some OS supplied assembler.

Actually you sometime may get those, as there might be inline assembler
code in system headers. For instance, my egcs on Linux refuses to
compile files using the default FD_ZERO macro, as FD_ZERO apparently
expands to inline assembly code that gcc 2.7.2.3 happily compiles.  In
these cases my workaround has been to define FD_ZERO myself to pure C
code.

On other environments than Linux GCC quite often uses system assembler
and linker, including system supplied headers and libraries.

I don't claim to know what the original posters problem was without
seeing the source code.

Thank God its Friday,

Harri