[DB-SIG] Python 2.0 DB Api - Threading and Transactions not known until connected

Brad Clements bkc@murkworks.com
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 18:14:41 -0400

On 26 Aug 99, at 16:05, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> > 4. Since the 2.0 DB spec says "auto-commit must be initially disabled",
> > then I'll never call ADO.CommitTrans unless the user calls
> > connection.commit(). Therefore everything the user does on the
> > connection is one huge transaction, right?
>
> No, you call CommitTrans when the user calls connection.commit()
> and RollbackTrans when he calls connection.close() or deletes
> the connection object.

So, if the user never calls connection.commit, then *all* his changes are
one giant transaction?

I must be a dunce. What's confusing me is that the spec says "auto-
commit must be disabled", yet somehow you're saying I should auto-
commit when he closes the connection. yet I thought you said I should
rollback if he didn't call commit.

How can a user use the my DB if they never call commit? (say, they're
doing very simple stuff and don't think of it). Then I'll never call commit?

I don't get it.

Brad Clements,                bkc@murkworks.com   (315)268-1000
netmeeting: ils://ils.murkworks.com               ICQ: 14856937