[DB-SIG] Help installing PyGreSQL.

Tom Bryan tbryan@server.python.net
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 21:06:43 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Wayne wrote:

> Hi, PostgreSQL 6.4.2 and Python 1.5.1 are already installed on my
> system. So, what do I have to do to get PyGreSQL installed? Wayne

I'm not currently running PostgreSQL; therfore, I haven't tested the
module that I made.  E-mail me if this doesn't work for you:

Install the python-devel RPM if necessary.  To check whether you have the
python-devel RPM, run this command
rpm -qi python-devel
You'll get "package python-devel is not installed" if you don't have it.

Download PyGreSQL.tgz
tar xzvf PyGreSQL.tgz
cd PyGreSQL-2.4
# either remove the '\', and put the next two lines on one line
# or make sure that you press enter immediately after the '\'
gcc -fpic -shared -o _pg.so -I/usr/include/pgsql/ \
  -I/usr/include/python1.5/ pgmodule.c -lpq -lcrypt

Now test the module as recommended in the README.linux file that comes
with PyGreSQL-2.4.  If it works, su to root.  The move the _pg.so, pg.py,
and pgsqldb.py files to /usr/lib/site-python/.  exit from the root
account.  Now, rerun the test in any directory other than
/usr/lib/site-python/, and it should still work.

---Tom
One of the Starship Python Sys Admins