[DB-SIG] mxODBC

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:59:10 +0100

Neel Krishnaswami wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've downloaded the mxODBC package (version 1.0.0) and am trying to get a
> Windows 95 box to talk to an Oracle database using the Windows ODBC manager.
>
> However, the precompiled ODBC.Windows package doesn't seem to have the
> DriverConnect() constructor. That is, it doesn't show up in the list produced
> by ODBC.Windows.__dict__.keys(), and gives me an AttributeError if if I
> try to invoke it.
>
> I've rooted ODBC directory tree at C:\Program Files\Python\site\ODBC, and
> "C:\Program Files\site" is in my PYTHONPATH. For comparison, the mxDateTime
> package is at C:\Program Files\site\DateTime, and it seems to work fine,
> so I'm pretty sure it's not path problems biting me.
>
> Also, when I checked the __version__ string, I found that it is at version
> 0.9.0. Is DriverConnect() just not compiled into the binary distribution, or
> am I foolishly missing something?

Unfortunately you are right. For DriverConnect() to be available
a compile time switch has to be defined and that was probably
forgotten by Martin. Since I still don't have a VC compiler (got
too many other things spinning), the precompiled versions are always
a little behind. I'm currently adding all patches I get from people
compiling the module on Windows, so the next release should make
this much easier.

Version 1.0.1 will be out in a few days.

An while we're at it: version 1.0.0 has a known bug that causes
fetching LONGVARCHAR columns to fail. The workaround is simple:
add -DADABAS_WORKAROUND to the Setup directives and recompile.
1.0.1 will hopefully have this one fixed.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg                               Y2000: 323 days left
          : Python Pages >>> http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/  :