[DB-SIG] Creating portable Python database code

John Duperon John.Duperon@EMBL-Heidelberg.de
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:47:59 +0100

Hello,

my colleagues and I will be creating online databases to
hold our scientific data.  Some of these projects will be
more complex than others, and thus we would like to use
MySQL for most of them and Oracle where data integrity is
essential.  With this in mind, we are trying to decide
whether to use Perl or Python for connecting our databases
to the web.  Do you have any idea whether the Python
database API is the same for Oracle and MySQL?  We'd like to
be able to write code that will work with either database,
requiring only the change of the database module, as can be
done with Perl's DBI.

Thanks for your time,

John Duperon
Max Planck Institute