[DB-SIG] Databases chapter for Python on Windows book

Risney, Marc S msrisney@ingr.com
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 18:16:33 -0500

Andy, my ramblings...

Access , 97 and 2000, please!!,
if you are writing specifically for win32, IMHO, most users/readers will at
some  point, most likely will be asked to develop using MS Access ,

one thing that you may want to experiment with (and I am just peeling back
the layers, with python and VB)
is that the office 2000 object library includes
MSDE (as well as Jet, and DAO), which is the same database engine used in
SQLServer 7, essentially MS Access 2000 is  SQLServer 7 , with a 5 user
license.

Also the format of the .mdb is different that preceding version (Access 97,
and 2.0), but there is an option to save and .MDB file as
an earlier version.

working with Oracle,  Python is indispensable when I create  the load and
control files, in conjunction with SQL Loader for data loading.
my load files are essentially ASCII text files that range in size form 1 meg
to 2 gigs in size,
I have even built a Tk GUI for setting up my Control files,

for loading objects I use Oracle Tools, I would love to use Python, but I
haven't the time to mess with Digital Creations Oracle module
That's a hint to Paul Everitt, I really would like instructions on how to
build the binary, or get a binary of their DCOracle module for win32.

Gadfly,
This is Aaron Waters' "Electric LadyLand", I have turned on GIS departments
in Reston, VA to Python via Gadfly,
used primarily as casual notetaker application, the ability to move the
datafiles from platform to platform   (Sun Solaris to WInNT to VAX and
back..)
is exercised daily, as CAD digitizers analyze remote sensing data
(ok..satellite images)
take notes, writing to  a Gadfly datafile, that eventual are migrated into
an Oracle RDBMS.

to quote a senior engineer:
"I am amazed, a little RDBMS, that fits on a floppy, that writes data -
cross platform, that can be redesigned using MS Notepad, why would I wate
time with Java."

this is a killer app, I have yet to see a Perl equivalent. please give it a
sidebar, I'm hoping that Aaron rev's it this fall, and add an ODBC.dll or
.pyd so that it can be accessed through ODBC on other applications on a
win32