[DB-SIG] DB API 1.1 Spec

Stephen J. Turner sjturner@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 14:29:33 -0500

Hello all,

Calling the new spec "1.1" would to me suggest backward compatibility
with the 1.0 spec.  If this were true, then I would expect that
applications originally written to use a 1.0 implementation should work
unmodified with a 1.1 implementation.

However, some of the proposed 1.1 changes seem to be incompatible with
1.0, including:
- renaming the connection function from <ModuleName> to Connect
- requiring keyword args for the connection function
- the new exception class hierarchy
- moving the callproc method from the Connection object to the Cursor
object

Should we therefore call the new spec "2.0" instead?

Regards,
Stephen

--
Stephen J. Turner <sjturner@ix.netcom.com>