[DB-SIG] annotated 1.1 spec / feedback

Andy Dustman adustman@comstar.net
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:09:31 -0500 (EST)

The only other thing I worry about somewhat is the handling of
transactions. On a db without transactions (MySQL), commit() can simply do
nothing. rollback(), however, is another matter. I tend to think that
rollback() on a database without transactions should raise some kind of
exception. Perhaps it simply should not be defined so that an
AttributeError is raised, so the application can at least try to take some
corrective action.

Another possibility is some kind of capabilities object which the
application can use to determine what features are available. One obvious
capability is the presence or absence of transactions. Another might be
the type of parameter substitution used by the query language. I'm not
really sure how useful this would be. Every database has it's own quirks,
it seems, and it's probably not possible to work around all of them.
However, at least knowing that transactions aren't available might at
least let some alternate code work around this.

--
Andy Dustman  (ICQ#32922760)    You should always say "spam" and "eggs"
ComStar Communications Corp.                 instead of "foo" and "bar"