[DB-SIG] Re: [Zope-dev] Prototype Zope mxODBC DA

Andy Dustman adustman@comstar.net
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 11:17:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Christopher Petrilli wrote:

> We are abandoning the use of DB-API interfaces for our own use simply
> because they have proven to be of little value in getting things running.
> In addition, their behavioral assumptions are sometimes quite incompatible
> with Zope requirements.  Jim Fulton can better speak to this.  We're now
> doing a more "thin shim" approach, and not going anywhere near the DB-API or
> SWIG.

I guess I did "the right thing" on MySQLdb: Create a native interface
(_mysql) with a Python DB API wrapper (MySQLdb). It turned out to be very
easy to convert the old ZMySQLDA (using MySQLmodule-1.4) to use _mysql,
and MySQLmodule and _mysql are quite dissimilar.

It might be worth pointing out (not to AMK or MAL, they know this) that
Solid's native interface is ODBC.

--
andy dustman       |     programmer/analyst     |      comstar.net, inc.
telephone: 770.485.6025 / 706.549.7689 | icq: 32922760 | pgp: 0xc72f3f1d