[DB-SIG] Persistent Storage of Objects

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 17:08:23 -0400 (EDT)

glinds - Greg Lindstrom writes:
>Are there examples out there (storage of objects), other than the one
>given in the back of the paper?  Has this concept (saving objects)
>become the status quo?

It doesn't seem like it; Joel Shprentz's paper discusses mapping
Python to a relational DB, and that seems to be about it.  Recently I
played around with the idea a bit before moving on to other things.
I wonder if writing some standard framework for this sort of thing
would be a useful task for the DB-SIG?

(This is actually a good question; the DB-SIG is rather quiet these
days, with only occasional specific questions about a particular DB
module.  Should the SIG be doing something such as an object->relation
mapper?  A ODMG binding for Python?  Thoughts?)

Chris Petrilli's pointer to the ZODB is also a good idea; while it's
Python-specific, and hence not suitable if there's some external
database that you must interface to.  But it would be fine as an
embedded database inside a standalone application.

Ah, yes. You must have grown on a particularly penetrating and incisive branch
of the family tree.
  -- Barnabas to Delirium, in SANDMAN #48: "Brief Lives:8"