[DB-SIG] Newbie ODBC question

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 07 Apr 2000 12:22:00 +0200

jmcgraw wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm new to both Python and ODBC so please forgive my ignorance...
>
> I've developed a small application on NT with Gadfly, but am in serious need
> for speed.

>From what I have heard, Gadfly already provides pretty good
performance...

> I'm considering using MySQL, but
> am baffled as to what exactly I need to do to connect to MySQL from Python.
> I've downloaded/installed MyODBC, and I noticed that my Python/Win32
> installation has an ODBC module...what next?

Install the Win32 MyODBC driver, add a data source in the Windows
ODBC manager (ODBC Sources in the System folder) and then connect
to it via e.g. the odbc module by giving the data source
name as first argument, user id and password as second and
third argument.

If the win32all odbc module doesn't work out for, try mxODBC
from my Python Pages.