[DB-SIG] mxODBC and large objects (BLOBS)

James L. Preston jlp@apti.com
Thu, 11 May 2000 14:35:59 -0400

I am trying  few different methods of working with a kind of document
management system
under PostgreSQL on Solaris.
I have had some success with PygreSQL, but I thought that I would try to
use mxODBC, since this
is supposed to conform the 2.0-api, etc. I got the unixODBC driver and
some things seem to work OK,
but I can't figure out how to handle large objects (BLOBS) . Are these
not supported by mxODBC,
or not by the ODBC drivers for PostgreSQL, or am I missing something? At
this point,
I think that I will go back to PygreSQL, which has a "large object"
python type that wraps around
the lo_export kind of  postgreSQL functions, which is very helpful, but
I would like to get a better idea
of what is going on with the ODBC stuff.

thanks,
jlp