[DB-SIG] Re: [PyGreSQL] Version 3.0 PyGreSQL

Hrvoje Niksic hniksic@iskon.hr
12 May 2000 15:21:46 +0200

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> writes:

> > One of the nice things about the DBAPI is that you are pretty well
> > guaranteed that ALL of its methods are implemented. Some of that
> > guarantee actually broke in DBAPI 2.0, though :-(
>
> Mostly because a few databases don't provide the needed services...
> not implemeting a feature due to one or two interfaces not providing
> them (while the remaining 20 could without problem), doesn't seem
> like the right way to go, IMHO.

Agreed.  The Python DB API seems to have been designed as the least
common denominator of database capabilities.  While it is a nice thing
to be able to guarantee that all the methods are implemented, most
people desire better support.

For example, IMO Perl's DBI seems to be much more feature-rich, and
the stuff it supports is generally implemented by the database
backends I've been using.

> > Back to prepare/command: the feature seems marginal, and then to
> > say "well, you don't have to implement it" is just the icing on
> > the cake...  :-) The "cursor pool" just isn't selling me...
>
> I'll let others chime in here... I only use mxODBC, so I'm pretty
> much satisfied already ;-)

I like the idea of an explicit prepare step for repeated queries,
although I'm not sure I really like the proposed interface.