[DB-SIG] .prepare()

Bill Tutt billtut@microsoft.com
Tue, 16 May 2000 02:33:04 -0700

> From: M.-A. Lemburg [mailto:mal@lemburg.com]
>
> Bill Tutt wrote:
> >

> > OLE DB is better than ODBC by a long shot, but its also a
> very complex
> > beast.
>
> But it's nowhere near as portable as ODBC... on NT or Win2k
> OLE DB may be the way to go, but on other platforms such as
> Unix or Mac you'd have to revert to other means.

I never said life was easy, just mentioning that if you wanted to come up
with a cool database API that OLE DB is the coolest thing since sliced bread
in this area.

> > [Andy's CORBA DB API]
> >
> > You really should read the OLE DB specs. They specify COM
> interfaces for
> > everything you've specified above and mroe...
>
> AFAIK, COM is MS centric and I think Andy is targetting Unix
> platforms here as well.

*sigh* Screw COM. There are two very important concepts with OLE DB that
make it very powerful. The interfaces that the objects expose, and
aggregating IUnknowns.
You can implement these core concepts on any semi-object oriented system. In
C++, in CORBA, or whatever.

He was thinking about a blue-sky concept, so I pointed him at what I think
the blue sky should look like on every platform. :) My top DB API related
wish is that the core OLE DB libraries were open source, and people could
use them on Unix or whatever, but it certainly doesn't seem likely to
happen. Data conversion helper libraries are such a pain in the ass to
write. :(

> > SQL 7 is completly built using a superset of these OLE DB
> interfaces. OLE DB
> > lets SQL 7 easily perform and optimize joins between
> different databases.
> >
> > Utterly cheesy example:
> > Joe wants to join table A in an Oracle database against
> table B in a SQL 7
> > database.
> > Depending on the index statistics information (on table B
> and on table A)
> > the SQL 7 query optimizer can decide how much of the query
> can be pushed
> > into the Oracle database, and how much of it should be done locally.
> >
> > The OLE DB interfaces exposes all the necessary information
> that allows SQL
> > 7 do perform this cool task.
> > (Yes, people really do use this feature in real life.)
>
> FYI, in ODBC you would do the same using an ODBC DB engine like the
> one sold by EasySoft.

That may be, but writing such a beast is much easier using OLE DB than it
every would be with ODBC.
ODBC doesn't expose interfaces that allow you to query for an index's
statsitcs information.

Bill