[DB-SIG] The CORBA DB API fantasy

Dr. Dieter Maurer dieter@sz-sb.de
Wed, 17 May 2000 09:23:46 +0200 (CEST)

M.-A. Lemburg writes:
 > I was referring to the effort needed to get the CORBA DB API
 > up and running ... you have two problems here: the server *and*
 > the client sice. While the Python client is probably manageable,
 > the server side will certainly be a huge undertaking.
There is at least one scenario, where the effort on client and
server would be comparable: a three-tier architecture.

On the server side, an application server implements the
CORBA DB API through use of current DB API calls.
On the client side, the DB API calls are mapped to services
from the current DB API.

The main problem, I see, is the static typing of IDL.
We would probably need some form of marshalling/pickling
above the ORB to handle parameters to "execute".

- Dieter