[DB-SIG] Re: [PyGreSQL] Version 3.0 PyGreSQL

Tom Bryan tbryan@starship.python.net
Thu, 18 May 2000 20:48:39 -0400 (EDT)

> e) In a clean-sheet database implementation, columns could contain any
> sort of conceivable CORBA object, thus becoming an object-oriented
> relational database.
>
> No database that I've ever heard of does this, yet. (Oracle might have
> some CORBA stuff, somewhere.)

Oracle 8i has an ORB *inside* the database.  I'm not sure what its
capabilities are for serving up data straight out of tables, which is what
I think you have in mind.  We're using it to handle Java instances that
live inside the database (Oracle 8i has a JVM inside the DB too that can
run code from .class files that have been loaded into special tables).

Perhaps they're headed to a CORBA-ish interface.

---Tom