[DB-SIG] Number of connections problem with ctsybase module

Eric Brunel brunel@nortelnetworks.com
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 11:41:45 +0200

Hi everybody,

I'm using Python with the ctsybase module to design a server for a database
application. I need to open many database connections for the server, but apparently,
the ctsybase module limits the number of connections to 25. More simply, if I do the
following simple program:

import ctsybase
l = []
for i in range(30):
  l.append(ctsybase.ctsybase({'server':'my_server', 'user':'my_user',
'password':'my_password'}))
  print len(l),

the result is:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 2, in ?
SybaseError: ['failed to connect to server', ('client', 1, 16843014, 'ct_connect():
user api layer: external error: The maximum number of connections have already been
opened.', 0, '', 0, '08000')]

Does anybody have a solution for this, either via Python or by patching the C code of
the ctsybase module? I tried to reach Peter Godman, who created the ctsybase module,
but apparently his e-mail address (pgodman@starship.skyport.net) doesn't work anymore.
So any help would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
 - Eric Brunel - Nortel Networks -