[DB-SIG] A little example for MySql

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 16:55:36 -0700 (PDT)

I hadn't used the MySql bindings before, so I created a little example
that I thought was clearer than the one included with Andy Dustman's MySql
bindings for python. You may need to change the db, user and pass though.

#!/usr/bin/python

# Written by Deirdre Saoirse Moen, TiVo, Inc.
# Feel free to use for any purpose

import MySQLdb
import traceback
import sys

def tryordie(stmt):
	global cursor

	try:
		cursor.execute(stmt)
	except:
		print
		traceback.print_exc()
		mydb.close()
		sys.exit()

# begin main program here

try:
	mydb = MySQLdb.Connect(db='test', user='foo', passwd='bar')
	cursor = mydb.cursor()
except:
	print "\n\n"
	traceback.print_exc()
	sys.exit()

# try and create the table, but if it doesn't exist, don't harf

stmt = "CREATE TABLE COLORS (COLOR varchar(32) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL)"
try:
	cursor.execute(stmt)
except:
	pass

stmt = "DELETE FROM COLORS"
tryordie(stmt)

stmt = "INSERT INTO COLORS VALUES ('red')"
tryordie(stmt)

stmt = "INSERT INTO COLORS VALUES ('blue')"
tryordie(stmt)

stmt = "INSERT INTO COLORS VALUES ('yellow')"
tryordie(stmt)

# grand finale test

stmt = "select * from COLORS"
tryordie(stmt)
try:
	resultSet = cursor.fetchall()

	for i in xrange(0, len(resultSet)):
		print "Color number",i,"is", resultSet[i][0]

except:
	pass

mydb.close()

"You had thesaurus flakes for breakfast again, didn't you?"
                                                 -- Eric Williams