[DB-SIG] Python as Apache-module

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 02 Jan 2001 13:13:13 +0100

peter.bittner@gmx.net wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> (I hope this is not off-topic here, but since Apache and MySQL is a common
> combination I hope I'm not wrong here!)

This SIG is about Python and databases, so this post is not really
on topic...

> I have learned Python a year ago, I used it for CGI to write a web-based
> library database, and I have become a real fan.
> I like Python a lot, but there is one thing I dislike which is its
> performance as far as its usage for the Web is concerned. - Compared to sites that
> run PHP my locally(!) running web-interface was dead slow.
>
> Since my brother thinks :) he likes PHP, I've looked into it as well, and
> I have found out why PHP is much faster on a Web-page than Python would be:
> PHP is available as an Apache module, and a module in Apache runs much
> faster than any CGI-programs!!
>
> So, now it's already a couple of days that I'm thinking about whether
> Python could be made available as Apache module as well. So I could stay with
> Python AND Python might be more attractive for Web-programmers in general!
> :-D
>
> Does anybody know anything about that?
> Are there plans to offer Python as an Apache module?
> (Maybe Apache would include this module in its standard distribution!!)

Here are two links which should help you:

      http://www.python.org/topics/web/
      http://www.vex.net/parnassus/apyllo.py/812237977.116898894

There are at least three Apache modules which try to bind Python
to Apache: mod_python, ModSnake, PyApache. Don't know much about
their status though.