[DB-SIG] (no subject)

Allan Streib astreib230@yahoo.com
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 20:37:06 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I'm looking at having to do some script development in
the near future which will require dealing with CLOBs
columns (containing XML) in an Oracle database.  My
languages choices are Python or Perl.  I don't know
either one at this point, but that's not my concern.

>From what I've seen,I think I would prefer Python as
it it seems cleaner, less cryptic and easier to learn
than Perl.  However, what I read in the DCOracle.txt
file concerns me a little; I'm hoping for some
clarification.

I will be calling Oracle stored procedures to get the
XML-containing CLOB columns.  I read that
"Input/output arguments do not support long and long
raw, date, and rowid variables"  But elsewhere it
appears that they can be handled using a Buffer.  Can
anyone clarify this for me, and does it make a
difference if the CLOB is returned as an IN OUT
argument as opposed to a cursor argument which
contains the CLOB column?

Also do you know if Oraperl has the same or a similar
issue?

Thanks.