[DB-SIG] Michele Comitini: Adding a driver to http://www.python.org/topics/database/modules.html

Federico Di Gregorio fog@mixadlive.com
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 13:11:44 +0100

Scavenging the mail folder uncovered D'Arcy J.M. Cain's letter:

> Um, I believe all the Python/PostgreSQL modules, including mine which
> is distributed with PostgreSQL(*), are free.

sure. i think michele's intention was *not* to hurt anyone.

> And for the record, we would still be happy if all of these talented people
> would contribute to PyGreSQL.  I don't understand why they all felt that
> it was necessary to splinter the development like this.

we began to develop popy when psygresql and the zope adapter based on
it crashed multiple times our production sites. i inspected pygresql
code and, i beg pardon, i found it quite complex and intricate. sometimes
the right thing to do is just to learn from errors, rm -fr everything
and start from scratch. so we did, and we did again with psycopg, when
we needed a *solid* and thread safe adapter. we are also implementing
some other ideas (like user-defined type-converters) that are easiest
to implement from scratch rather than adding to an existing framework.

but we can contribute other ways: i am sure the testsuite i am writing
will help al of us to write better db adapters.

ciao,
federico

p.s. i really didn't want to mean that you---or anybody else is a
bad coder. english is not my native language and i am sorry for
errors and misinterpretations.

--
Federico Di Gregorio
MIXAD LIVE Chief of Research & Technology              fog@mixadlive.com