[DB-SIG] PEP version of DB-API

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:42:46 +0100

Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> Python Enhancement Proposals (PEPs) with an 'Informational' status can
> be used to document Python-related standards.  I'd like to get the
> DB-API into the PEPs.

Good idea.

> Marc-Andre, I vaguely remember that you were
> the primary editor of the spec; is it OK with you if I edit it into
> PEP form and put you down as the author?

I'm not the only author... there are at least two others (Greg
Stein and someone else from eShop who's name I don't remember).
Anyway, the spec is in the public domain, so it should be no problem.

> One question: should the 1.0 version of the API be turned into a spec
> for historical completeness?  I vote -1; it's not that important and
> most (all?) modules follow 2.0 anyway.

Hmm, there are clear differences between 1.0 and 2.0. Maybe you
should at least a URL to the 2.0 version pointing to the 1.0
document.

Having 1.0 in PEP form would have an educational value since,
AFAIK, the DB API spec was the first specification written for
Python which does not target the Python core itself.