[DB-SIG] postgres access to db structure

Tom Renfro trenfro@ephibian.com
Fri, 25 May 2001 13:01:14 -0700

If you are looking for the column names for a table, look
in the pg_attribute table.  Something like the following should
work:

select b.attnum, a.relname,b.attname,c.typname from pg_class a,
pg_attribute b, pg_type c where a.oid=3Db.attrelid and c.oid=3Db.atttypid
and b.attnum > 0 order by a.relname, b.attnum;

It is vaguely reminiscent of the ALL_TAB_COLUMNS view in Oracle...